Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 0.

May 11, 2010 at 7:30 PM

When deploying the website I'm getting the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 0.

Source Error:

Line 46:   <roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="CrmRoleProvider">
Line 47:    <providers>
Line 48:     <add name="CrmRoleProvider" type="Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Web.Security.CrmContactRoleProvider"/>
Line 49:    </providers>
Line 50:   </roleManager>

Source File: C:\inetpub\CP\web.config    Line: 48

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4927; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4927

May 11, 2010 at 9:33 PM
Edited May 11, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Did you do the import with the Website copy tool?

And how did you resolve this?

May 12, 2010 at 12:47 PM
Edited May 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I am getting the same error.  I used both Windows Live Passport authentication and AD authentication.  Website Copy tool doesnt seem to work with Passport authentication method either (using Azure hosting service and CRM online).

May 14, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I have tested the WebsiteCopy utility with all three deployments and have confirmed that it does work.  It is important to get the connection string parameters correct before it works as well as importing all of the CRM schema before running the utility.  If you are having problems with the utility, please send me your connection string to help.  If you want to email me, use my alias here (including the underscore) @spamcop.net.

The error you are seeing is pointing at the role provider, which just happens to be the first code that is invoked.  The real error underneath is likely masked, and I have not seen that specific error message, but I suspect it has something to do with your connection string.  Again, please feel free to send it to me for inspection.

Thanks,
Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net