Page Not Found

May 12, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I have gone through all the installation steps and the portal successfully loads the home page.

When I select any link (i.e. Contact Us) I get a 404 page not found error. If I call the ASPX directly (/pages/contactus.aspx) I get a portal page with the words page not found.

The portal is connecting the db as otherwise the content would not display and therefore is there anything else I need to do to test the prebuilt demo features (i.e web to lead, event registration etc..)

Any help would be much appreciated !

May 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I am also getting the same error on my CRM Virtual machine while hosting the website locally and using AD authentication.

May 12, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I'm having the same problem as well. Interestingly if I debug the portal in VS I can browse the links and they load content. Despite the fact that I've set AD authentication, the debug portal displays Live ID as authentication and links out to that rather that prompting for AD/Contact authentication

May 14, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Did anyone manage to get to the bottom of this problem? Or manage to get the portal working on the standard corp image using AD authentication??

May 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM

So you can see the home page but you get a 404 error when viewing another page (ie: cases)?  If that is the situation, the problem is likely related to how your IIS website is set up.  The portals have been tested with Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 Server (IIS 7.5), but also work with IIS 7 and IIS 6.  If you are using the portals on the CRM demo machine, you are using IIS 6.  Using IIS 6 requires a couple of additional website setup steps as it does not read all of the required settings from the web.config file.  Specifically, you will need to set up 404 page handling.  You will notice that the urls in the website are not actually web pages (aspx files) on IIS.  The way that the portal framework works is to intercept IIS 404 page handling and to locate the web page in CRM that is being requested on the url.  This is automatic in IIS 7+ with the web.config that we provide, but requires that you set up 404 page handling on IIS 6.  Here is how to do that:

1. Open IIS Administrator.
  2. Navigate to your website node.
  3. Right-click and select Properties.
  4. Switch to the Custom Errors tab.
  5. Locate the Http error 404.  Click edit.
  6. Change the Message type to URL.
  7. Change the URL to /default.aspx

This will ensure that IIS redirects a page-not-found error to the default.aspx file, which is in ASP.NET.  Once it is in ASP.NET, the http module for the portal will handle it appropriately.  Without this custom error, IIS 6 handles the error natively without triggering the http module.  These steps are not necessary on an IIS 7+ machine that is using an integrated pipeline.

While you are in the website properties, take the time to also switch to the asp.net tab and ensure that your site is hosted with asp.net 2.0 and not 1.1 as that will create some other errors.  In your case, since the home page renders, I don't think you have missed this step, but I offer it because other people reading this may have the issue.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

May 14, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Thanks for the replies Shan, I've resolved the 404 issue following your instructions above, thanks! I'm moving onto the other issues I was having that you responded to in other threads and will post back on those asap.

Cheers

Monty

May 17, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Thanks Shan this fixed it for me.... !!!

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:26 PM
Edited Jul 7, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I have the entire portal working and seem to be able to get to all pages, but the registration confirmation page did not display after completing a registration. I got a 404 page not found error.  It looks like other site functionality is OK.

I am running Server 2008 Web, SP2, IIS7, and have granted Sys admin role in CRM so issue is not security.

Turns out that importing customizations does not necessarily bring in new picklist values for existing fields. This problem was caused by missing values in the responsecode & channeltypecode attributes of the campaignresponse entity. Also had issues on missing status reason codes in the Campaign entity.