Tips and Tricks from the Portals Project Team

Coordinator
May 12, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Hi all,

This discussion will be used to pass on feedback from various queries and comments raised by the community. We'll also make sure we adjust documentation where things are not clear.

Kind regards,

The Customer Portal Accelerator Team

Coordinator
May 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM
Edited May 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Connection Strings:

You have 3 principle Authentication Type options for the connection string: AD, SPLA and Passport.

Here's some sample connectionstrings that have been validated:

AD: (This works for the standard VPC image)

Authentication Type=AD;Server=http://crm/contoso; Password=pass@word1;  User ID=contoso\administrator;

SPLA:

Authentication Type=SPLA; Server=http://server-name/organization; User ID=domain\user-name; Password=user-password

Passport:

Authentication Type=Passport; Server=https://your-org-name.crm.dynamics.com/your-org-id; User ID=your-wlid; Password=your-password; Device ID=your-device-id; Device Password=your-device-password

For CRM Online you need to find the org-id, you can do this by going into Settings --> Customization --> Download Web Service Description Files. You will see your org-id listed as Organization Unique Name.

We'll update the documentation with better clarity around these settings.

We're also working on step-by-step videos. Thanks for your feedback and getting stuck into using the new portals!

May 13, 2010 at 2:25 AM

I dont know understand how you can expect us to set up this portal using AD authentication on our Microsoft Dynamics CRM Virtual Machine when windows live sign on requires web access.  How can I get Windows Live sign on to work on the portal if as soon as I expose the virtual machine to the web, the CRM instance goes down.  I think we are missing a step here...

May 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM

My CRM virtual machine functions fine when my machine is connected to the web.  You would have to review your virtual machine configuration to determine why this is a problem in your configuration.

The portal accelerators come bundled with Live ID authentication for end users, but the framework supports any membership provider.  To use another membership provider, simply register it in the web.config and then ensure that your membership usernames are placed in the username field on the contact form's web authentication tab.

Alternatively, you can upgrade to Adxstudio xRM and use the contact membership provider in that product.  Keep in mind that the free portal accelerator is a subset of the full Adxstudio xRM product and that the schemas (and code) are compatible so that you can easily go from the free portals to the full professional edition without worry.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

May 14, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Is there a prebuilt CRM virtual machine somewhere that we can look at and see the portal accelerator working on? If not....is there some CRM virtual machine base image we should be using?

May 14, 2010 at 8:50 PM

The next version of the CRM Demo will have the new accelerators on it.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net