Live ID only authentication model supported OOB

May 20, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Hi,

Why was the default .asp.net membership provider removed from the accelerators? This makes the demoing of this functionality impossible unless you have a live environment which 9/10 is not the case as you use a VPC with no network access.

I feel this is an oversight and impedes the ability for partners to quickly demo the new functionality without rebuilding the authentication model.

Steve

May 21, 2010 at 12:57 AM

I completely agree. It's just not practical for us to have our internal Hyper-V's talk to the internet. Definitely would help if we had the option to only need AD auth.

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:48 AM

The xRM portal framework was designed to be extensible, and that includes using standard ASP.NET membership, role, and profile providers.  The customer portal can be used with any ASP.NET membership provider.  I have put together instructions on my blog on how to reconfigure the customer portal to work in a VPC environment without any internet access, using the Active Directory membership provider.  Check out the discussion here: http://customerportal.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=215273

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net