Changes necessary to use ASP.NET membership?

May 21, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I've downloaded and installed the Customer Portal Accelerator, but will not be using Windows Live ID for authentication.  I'm starting the process of modifying the portal to use ASP.NET membership, but am wondering if you can give some guidance or suggestions as to what all will need to be modified in the portal to use ASP.NET membership instead of Live ID? 

Thanks!

May 21, 2010 at 11:00 PM

I am planning on doing the same thing.  The membership provider will have to be hooked into the web.config, and the logon page will have to have an asp.net logon control added to it.  Other than that, the rest of the solution should work just fine.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

May 25, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Thanks, Shan, got it working.  Changed the web.config, and modified the Login.aspx page by removing the LiveID logon control and adding the asp.net logon control.  Also changed the Default.master - removed the LiveID LoginStatus control, and added an asp.net loginstatus control.  Everything is working now.

May 27, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I'm planning on doing the same thing, but I'm a complete rookie, and I'm don't know how to set up the aspnetdb.  The install documentation has nothing about it, but IIRC, previous portal accelerators had utilities that did this for you.  Would it be safe to use the "Configure ASP.NET Membership.bat" file from the PIA accelerator to take care of this?

May 27, 2010 at 9:54 PM
Edited May 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Yes, that bat file runs the ASP.NET SQL Server Registration tool (wizard-type interface).  This tool isn't specific to PIA or any of the accelerators - it's used to install the SQL database used by SQL Server providers - membership, role, etc.

More info here on that tool:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x28wfk74.aspx

I know it was detailed in the original "eService Accelerator" installation document - that's where I first learned about it and installed it.   If you do a search for aspnet regsql, you can find more info.

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:43 AM

Hi

I am a non techie, and really want to demo this product to a client in an offline manner. To do this I believe I need to reimplement the ASP.net membership from the old portals to this new version. Can anyone post me the new files that have been updated to fasttrack me down this route? I really appreciate it. Then all I will need to do is to set up the db I believe.

Thanks.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:37 AM
Edited Jun 8, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Same issues here, we have a customer requiring this portal ASAP and they want to use the SQLMembership provider.  I have made following changes to the solution to support SQLMembership provider.

Updated the web.config to use SQLmembership provider instead of CRMMembership provider and added forms authentication.  Modified the Login.aspx page by removing the LiveID logon control and adding the asp.net logon control.  Changed the Default.master removed the LiveID LoginStatus control, and added an asp.net loginstatus and the login view control.

So at the moment I can login as an exisiting user (created using the earlier CRM accelerator portal) but cannot register a new user, send forgotten passwords, and also does not work with the Portal Invitation mechanism.  I also noticed that the earlier portal used a Profile object to store user credentials, this no longer exists and I guess needs to be re-implemented as a custom object in the new portal.  Before I installed the new portal I looked at some of these posts and got the impression that changing the membership provider was not too difficult. 

Is there anyone who has actually got this to work?  If so please post up detailed instructions.

Alternatively, I may be able to convince the client to use the built in liveId authentication - but I wonder how can this ever work on a development server that is not internet facing.  I have a connection to the internet, but what is the return address i.e http://yoursite.yourdomain.com/liveid.axd.  My dev site is obviously not accessable from outside our corporate domain and not sure if I will get this dns and firewall rule past the network police.  I missing the obvious here?

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:45 AM

I just posted a blog article on how to reconfigure the customer portal to use an Active Directory membership provider so that you can install it in a VPC environment that does not have internet access.  You can view the discussion here:

http://customerportal.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=215273

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:57 PM
Edited Jun 13, 2010 at 10:02 PM
AdamLancashire wrote:

Same issues here, we have a customer requiring this portal ASAP and they want to use the SQLMembership provider.  I have made following changes to the solution to support SQLMembership provider.

Updated the web.config to use SQLmembership provider instead of CRMMembership provider and added forms authentication.  Modified the Login.aspx page by removing the LiveID logon control and adding the asp.net logon control.  Changed the Default.master removed the LiveID LoginStatus control, and added an asp.net loginstatus and the login view control.

So at the moment I can login as an exisiting user (created using the earlier CRM accelerator portal) but cannot register a new user, send forgotten passwords, and also does not work with the Portal Invitation mechanism.  I also noticed that the earlier portal used a Profile object to store user credentials, this no longer exists and I guess needs to be re-implemented as a custom object in the new portal.  Before I installed the new portal I looked at some of these posts and got the impression that changing the membership provider was not too difficult. 

Hi Adam I´m trying same way. But not success for SQLMembership.... please, please , can you post up detailed instructions? Thanks,
Jun 13, 2010 at 9:59 PM
Edited Jun 13, 2010 at 10:00 PM
Jun 14, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Here are some instructions on how to get this working with an Active Directory membership provider:

http://www.shanmcarthur.net/crm/developers-corner/customer-portal-modifications-for-demo-vpc-without-internet-connectivity

Adam, to use Live ID, you don't need any inbound internet connectivity as there is no inbound communication to use Live ID.  There is outbound connectivity where your browser needs to go out to the internet to authenticate with Live ID, but the server does not need that connectivity.  You can even use an internal DNS address - again, there is no need for a real DNS name either. 

I would recommend using Active Directory membership provider for demos, but then use Live ID for production portals.  The benefit of using Live ID is that it is secure, you won't have to worry about resetting passwords and other things like that, and your customers can use an already-established identity instead of managing 'yet another set of credentials'.

Shan

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM
javier_C wrote:
AdamLancashire wrote:

Hi Adam I´m trying same way. But not success for SQLMembership.... please, please , can you post up detailed instructions? Thanks,

Never mind, I got aswner in this great post : Customer Portal Accelerator : Handling Membership through CRM. http://thexrmguru.com/?p=49