Case Access Question

May 25, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Question about the Case Access - if I give a contact access to multiple accounts through this entity, should I then be able to add new cases for either entity, or view cases for either entity?  I hope that makes sense - I basically want a contact to be able to open cases for more than one account.  Not at the same time - only one case/one account at a time.  But the contact needs to be "linked" to multiple accounts, and open/view cases for any of the accounts to which they are linked. 

The Case Access entity looked like it might fit the bill, but my testing doesn't bear that out.  Just curious.

Thanks!

May 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM

That is an interesting scenario, but not one that we had tested in the portal.  You should be able to add multiple case access rules for the same user to different accounts.  I believe we have found a small issue in the logic in the case access code that might not allow you to span accounts (outside of the primary account relationship from the contact).  The good news is that the logic is built into Library\CaseAccess.cs.  You can adjust the queries in this code to build your own case access rules that the view cases page can respect.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

May 26, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Thanks, Shan, just wanted to be sure that there wasn't any core functionality that I was missing.  I appreciate the quick reply!