Cannot view or edit cases from the portal

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I have created a contact and linked that contact with an account. I have created permission for the contact to see, edit and create cases for the account. I created account access permmissions, contact access permmissions and case access permmissions. I have attached my contact to a system user called Web User which uses the role of Customer Service Representatives. However, when the user logs into the portal I cannot create a case or I cannot even see any cases for that contact or account. It does not produce any errors the options just are not there.

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM

When you set up the case access, did you also include the account in the rule?  There is a small bug in the code that is implemented in the Library folder of the site that requires that the account be filled out on the case access permissions rule.  This will be fixed in the next update of the site, but you can fix it yourself or simply add the account to the case access rule.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I can now see cases from the portal and see the link to create cases. However, when I click the create case button I get the following error.

Server was unable to process request.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SoapException: Server was unable to process request.]
   System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) +413081
   System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) +300
   Microsoft.Crm.SdkTypeProxy.CrmService.Create(BusinessEntity entity) +82
   Microsoft.Xrm.Client.Services.CrmServiceWrapper.Create(BusinessEntity entity) +104
   Microsoft.Xrm.Client.Services.CachedOrganizationService.Create(BusinessEntity entity) +68
   Microsoft.Xrm.Client.Data.Services.CrmDataContext.SaveChanges(IOrganizationService service) +989
   Microsoft.Xrm.Client.Services.IOrganizationServiceExtensions.Using(Func`1 create, Action`1 action) +60

[ApplicationException: 
  0x80044150
  Generic SQL error.
  Platform
]
   Microsoft.Xrm.Client.Services.IOrganizationServiceExtensions.Using(Func`1 create, Action`1 action) +204
   Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Data.Services.DelegatedCrmDataContext.SaveChanges() +31
   Site.Pages.eService.CreateCase.CreateButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\R5 Builds\Security Testing\Customer-Portal-R2\Website\Pages\eService\CreateCase.aspx.cs:56
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +115
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +140
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +29
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2981
Jun 3, 2010 at 6:23 PM

The error is "Generic SQL Error".  That doesn't sound good.  That error is a CRM platform error and not the portal.  I would check the event log on your CRM to see why you are getting a generic SQL error.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Hi,

i'm strugling with same error but unable to find the problem...

The eventlog entry regarding the error is not really that clear to me.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event Category: Web Event 
Event ID: 1309
Date:  28/06/2010
Time:  23:30:36
User:  N/A
Computer: DYNAMICSSRV
Description:
Event code: 3005 
Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred. 
Event time: 28/06/2010 23:30:36 
Event time (UTC): 28/06/2010 21:30:36 
Event ID: 6c8ee29c8cc548bd85196a64c97b97a2 
Event sequence: 17 
Event occurrence: 1 
Event detail code: 0 

Application information: 
    Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/474656610/Root-1-129222341016857859 
    Trust level: Full 
    Application Virtual Path: / 
    Application Path: C:\Inetpub\CustomerPortal\ 
    Machine name: DYNAMICSSRV 

Process information: 
    Process ID: 3260 
    Process name: w3wp.exe 
    Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 

Exception information: 
    Exception type: ApplicationException 
    Exception message: 
  0x80044150
  Generic SQL error.
  Platform

Request information: 
    Request URL: <removed>
    Request path: /Pages/eService/CreateCase.aspx 
    User host address: 10.32.0.1 
    User: <Removed>
    Is authenticated: True 
    Authentication Type: Forms 
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 

Thread information: 
    Thread ID: 9 
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 
    Is impersonating: False 
    Stack trace:    at Microsoft.Xrm.Client.Services.IOrganizationServiceExtensions.Using(Func`1 create, Action`1 action)
   at Microsoft.Xrm.Client.Data.Services.BaseDataContext.UsingService(Action`1 action)
   at Microsoft.Xrm.Client.Data.Services.CrmDataContext.SaveChanges()
   at Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Data.Services.DelegatedCrmDataContext.SaveChanges()
   at Site.Pages.eService.CreateCase.CreateButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\CUSTOMER_PORTAL_RTW_R1\Installation\Website\Customer-Portal-R2\Website\Pages\eService\CreateCase.aspx.cs:line 56
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

thnx all
Jul 20, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Hi,

I was able to fix this error by turning off some of the required fields for the case in CRM. The only required fields I have on the case now are Owner, Customer and Title.