Document on how to use Customer Portal and PRM portal on Demo VPC with no Internet Connection

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:41 AM

Hey everyone,

It looks like there are a number of partners that are attempting to get the portal accelerators running on the CRM demo VPC image.  Most people are running the demos in a VPC without Internet connectivity, and that is causing some headaches as the customer portal uses Live ID and an internet-based Captcha system.  I have put together a blog article on how to use a standard membership provider and get the customer portal running in an internet-less VPC environment.  I chose to use an Active Directory membership provider because the demo VPC has Active Directory and it doesn't require any additional setup or user account provisioning.  If you are considering putting this in your demo environment or want to use another membership provider other than the Live ID provider we included in the portal, feel free to check out my blog article.  I would like to point out that I highly recommend the use of Live ID as it is secure as well as doesn't put any burdens on you to manage customer credentials, but for demo environments, I do recommend using a simpler model.

http://www.shanmcarthur.net/crm/developers-corner/customer-portal-modifications-for-demo-vpc-without-internet-connectivity

Enjoy!

Shan McArthur

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Hi Shan

I know I speak for everyone on here and a large group of people across the communities when I say thank you so much for your commitment, patience and help with all the various issues, problems and user error challenges(!) that people have been experiencing with the Customer Portal Accelerator. It's massively appreciated :o)

I'm afraid I've got another question for you- and it may well fall into the user error category! I've followed the instructions in your blog to enable AD authentication on the standard corp image (IIS 6.0) without an internet connection and am having a slight issue at the final hurdle. When I input username and password and click Log In, I receive an error from the CrmMembershipProvider section Line 52 in the web.config file (type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider") stating that a referral was returned from the server. I'm using a host header on the website which is working fine for unauthenticated content on the portal. I've checked the security on the website in IIS and it's set to Allow anonymous and windows integrated. I've tried various nuances on this including removing the host header, all to no avail- I get the same error each time. There is an associated warning in the windows application event logs coming from ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0 Event ID 1310.

Do you have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Could it be that the website is referencing the wrong version of the system.web.dll?

Thanks again in advance

Monty

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:52 PM
Shan (or anyone else) Any ideas on this one? Thanks in advance Monty
Jun 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM
An error that is related to a "referral was returned from the server" usually indicates either that your Active Dirctory connection string is not quite set up properly, or that there is an issue with DNS resolution in your environment. Make certain that the connection string points to a valid domain controller, a valid domain, and a valid container to use for authentication. Verify that the domain controller is using the correct IP address. Shan