websitecopy.exe syntax for on-premise CRM

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Hi all,

So far I've successfully followed the implementation guide and have reached the stage of running websitecopy.exe to get the xml file loaded. The videos I've watched show the authentication type as "SPLA " or "Passport", neither of these seem  to work as I'm using AD to authenticate against the server as it is on-premise. Is there a sample script for websitecopy.exe for an on-premise implementation of CRM or can someone point me in the right direction for the syntax please.

Cheers

Steve

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Hi Steve,

This is the script that I finally was able to get to work.

WebsiteCopy.exe /targetConnectionString:"Authentication Type=Integrated; Server=http://<CRM Server Name>/<CRM Org Name>; " /targetWebsiteName:"Customer Portal" /sourceFile:C:\Temp\CUSTOMER_PORTAL_RTW_R1\Installation\Customizations\customerportal.xml

I am running on an On Premise environment too.   I tried about 100 variations of this website copy command line, and finally got this version to work. 

NOTE:  Keep in mind that this is pushing information to your CRM, so the user running this must have CRM access.   (I'm a CRM admin, I don't know if this could be run with "lesser privileges" or not)

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I would encourage you to read the documentation that comes with the portals, as well as the documentation that is in the microsoft.xrm folder of the latest CRM SDK (4.0.0012).  The document named Customer Portal Deployment Guide_OnPremise_V1.0.doc covers how to install this for an on-premise deployment, and step 13.b outlines the command line options for the websitecopy utility for an on-premise install.

If you did read the documentation and were not successful in identifying the steps you needed to take, I would love to understand where it is not clear and where we could improve the documentation.

Thanks,
Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Jun 18, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Hi Shan,

I had already downloaded the SDK as it mentioned the documentation is in there but I've checked the microsoft.xrm folder within the SDK and the document you mention isn't there. I have version 4.0.12 of the SDK according to the readme contained therein. Is there somehwere else I can obtain the document as it certainly sounds like that is what I need.

Kind regards

Steve

Jun 18, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Sorry for the confusion.  The SDK contains the developer documentation including the full information about connection strings.  The portal deployment guide is included in the Documentation folder of the portal download.  I would recommend reading the documentation from both the portal and SDK.

Shan