Sitemap Provider - questions about site navigation

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I have two questions related to the Sitemap Provider used in the portal:

1. With this Sitemap provider and the Content Management piece in CRM, is there a way to implement fly-out menus from elements in the Primary Navigation bar?  I started by adding the child page to my Web site, and making sure I had the appropriate Web Page, Web Link, and Site Marker elements defined, but I'm not having any luck.  Anyone tried this?

2.  I am adding additional Web Roles, and would like to restrict access to various pages based on the Web Roles.  I added the appropriate System.Web -> Authorization elements to my Web.config file, and that piece seems to work.  When I log in as a user who doesn't have the appropriate role, I can't access that page.  However, I also would like to trim the navigation bar of any links that the user doesn't have access to.  The "securitytrimmingenabled" attribute on the Site Map provider is set to "true", but it doesn't seem to work.  I can still see the links on the navigation bar.  Is there something else that I need to configure?  

Many thanks.

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:01 PM

On the fly-out menus, the WebLinks control is a templatable control, so you can certainly implement a fly-out menu by providing the template.  I don't have a sample handy now, but I know it is possible.

On the content controls, you are coming up against a limitation of asp.net - the site map provider and security trimming doesn't seem to respect the locations settings.  However, content security is a feature that we did not include in the free version of the xRM portals, but kept in our commercial version.  The behavior that you are looking for is implemented in our commercial product.  You can see the features at the following location: http://www.adxstudio.com/adxstudio-xrm/comparison

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Jun 23, 2010 at 4:46 PM

So is it the CRMSiteMapProvider that's the issue?  Can I use a different SiteMap Provider?  I don't think the commercial product is going to be an option for me.

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:23 PM

The free xRM portal framework does not implement content access security.  You can use roles and location control to hack it, but unless you use a sitemap provider that does security trimming, you won't be able to accomplish your goal without building your own solution.  The commercial version is only $4K, and has a ton of additional features and a more advanced CMS model - it is well worth the investment.  Check out that comparison link to see if there are other features that you are likely to want (ie: publishing states, access control, discussion forums, surveys, polls, ads, etc.)  You will find that the commercial version is priced to be lower than the cost of your own effort to implement even one of those features.

Shan