Integrating Customer Portal into existing website

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Is it possible to integrate the Customer Portal into an existing website that already uses .NET Membership and avoid a second login when accessing CRM?

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Not with CRM 4.  CRM 4 on-premise uses Active Directory via integrated LAN auth, and externally it uses Forms authentication when you configure IFD.  The scope of your logon for both the portal and CRM are contained to the same site.

Shan

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Thanks, Shan.

So, are you saying there is no way to integrate the Customer Portal into an existing web application that has a login and achieve a single login for everything?

Would the AdxSutdio commercial version of the Customer Portal help in this situation?

-- Joe

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:04 PM

No, what I am saying is that you cannot have a web portal authenticate and then have the user visit the CRM user interfaces without another form of authentication (ie: a second logon).  The portals use ASP.NET Membership to authenticate, so you can integrate them into existing websites, but CRM 4 does not have a pluggable ASP.NET membership system, and is not set up for federated authentication.  As for your question, yes, you can have a single logon source for everything (for example, using ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider as the membership provider), but every website that uses this will maintain its own formsauth tokens and the end result will likely be multiple 'logons', but using the same credentials for each application.  You can also invest in a single-signon solution that will work accross all of your applications, and the portal can plug into that as well.

Shan

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Shan,

I think I may have confused the issue with the wording of my original question. Let me restate the question: 

We would like to use the Customer Portal accelerator for eService to access CRM cases and knowledge base articles. We already have an existing customer portal website built on .Net Nuke that uses .NET Membership for user authentication. Is it possible to integrate the Customer Portal accelerator into this website such that the user would only need to login one time to be able to get to the existing website and the CRM Customer Portal (for cases and KB articles)?

I appreciate your patience.

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:45 PM
If you want to continue to use DNN, then you can integrate the functionality in the portals into your DNN website. The customer portal uses standard ASP.NET and .Net programming, so you should be able to migrate the code to your DNN website using standard DNN development techniques. Shan