Integrating PRM Portal into an existing website

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:33 AM

Hi,

I have installed PRM and modified the code to view the webpage similar to my company website. It works fine but my question is , my clients needs to have the webpage to be integrated to their website and have the same look as their website.. Is that possible to happen?

Your response will be much appreciated, Thanks.

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:47 AM

Yes, you can change the skin of the portal to be compliant to your customer's website.  This is a basic requirement for any CMS system, and these portals are no different.  You would implement the site skin by changing the master page, css files, and page templates to match the brand of the site.  This would be done in Visual Studio.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Thanks Shan for your quick response,

this is actually what i have done for my company webpage, but say for example i have 1000 clients, will it be efficient to change the the look of each webpage for each client? is there a tool to be installed on the client's webserver to import the PRM portal to their webserevr and take the same look?? Does the work need me to gain access to the client's webserver?? I am thinking about all of these questions for long time and trying to find a solution..

Please advise me if you have a solution to what i need, appreciate your help. thanks.

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:05 PM
I want to make sure I understand your requirements. Here is what I understand: You are using the partner portal accelerator. You have 1000 customers, and in the PRM model with vendor/partner/customer, these represent 1000 partners. You want to have a unique partner site that conforms to each of the 1000 partner's brands. Please confirm my basic understanding of your goals so that I can answer your questions appropriately. Thanks, Shan
Jul 7, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Thanks Shan,

Yes what you understood is correct in additional to that say for example my client has his own website and he does not want his customers to jump to another website which is the PRM model which i have modified to my company look, he needs to be on his own existing website and from there he can access the PRM website which has the same look and skin of his website.

I know i can modify the CSS and master page etc... as i did to the PRM website to take my company look.... but if i  have a 1000 clients , I feel it is not efficient to change the coding for every customer.. plus how i can implement PRM pages into my customer's website without gaining access to his web server.  I am not sure if there is a solution to my problem, please Advice, thanks

Please tell me if my explanation does not make sense to you.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:27 AM

Hi Shan,

Would you be able to help me??

Thanks

Jul 12, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I think your expectations for functionality are quite high and I wonder if your expectations of effort are in line.  From what I understand, you expect every one of your 1000 clients to be able to rebrand the site to meet their custom needs, and you want to do this all with front-side editing so that the portal can appear as a section within their existing sites, and their sites could be running on any technology.  This 'condo' model can be a complex undertaking and I don't think you will get the full value of the effort.  What I would recommend is simplifying the experience.  Provide your customers with some basic skinning capabilities (ie: color themes, headers and footers), as well as possibly a IFRAME-capable skin so that they can insert your site within an IFRAME on their site if they do not find using your entire site palatable.  This will require some development.  Adxstudio can certainly help you with your project, so feel free to go to their website and contact them.

Thanks,
Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:52 AM

Thanks Shan,

These information was really helpful. but i have a question about Adxstudio XRM, i went through the website but there is something i am not sure about, does it do what PRM accelerator does?????? like it allows customers to change their details online, etc , the video on the website doesn't show that so I am not sure if it does that....

Thanks again for your help,

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:03 AM
You have to separate out in your mind the differences between the two portal frameworks, and the sample sites. The free portal frameworks that are shipped with CRM SDK 4.0.0012 are an extensible framework that can be used for any website, but they are using the minimum CMS functionality. The Adxstudio xRM portals are using the same type of framework, but have more professional CMS functionality. The server controls used by websites are identical in each. Then you can consider that the customer and partner portals on codeplex are just sample sites that we are shipping the source code to, that implement the portal framework. Adxstudio xRM portals include 5 sample sites, but don't specifically have the partner portal. There are many other sample sites that use the free and Adxstudio portal frameworks, including www.techdays.ca (a Microsoft conference site), www.adxstudio.com (we eat our own dogfood), www.xrmvirtual.com, and many more. If you browse those sites you will start to see the power of the xRM portal framework - the sites can look like any portal site that you want, and you can implement any user experience you need. You are definately NOT limited to the samples that ship out-of-box for either solution. Now that said, yes the Adxstudio customer support site, as well as the user group site allow customers to change their details online, and if you look at the sample code for them and compare it to the customer and partner portals on codeplex, you will see that the code is virtually identical. Thanks, Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net
Jul 18, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Thanks Shan for the helpful information.

appreciate your help