Improve portal load Speed. Deal with customer complaints.

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:54 PM
Edited Jul 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Hello everybody,

Does anybody knows how the loading speed can be improved?

The portal was configured - and main functions work Ok.
BUT loading speed is awful - 20-30 sec to load.
Taking into consideration that the portal is designed for customers - such loading speed is prohibitive.

1. Has anyone experience of portal loading speed improvement?
2. What is the reason of such slow loading speed?
3. How can this be Dramatically improved (including changes in the code if needed)?

Any opinions are welcome, because I'm sure each MS partner will receive a lot of complaints from customers who have Customer/Partner portal.

Best regards,
Igor

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I think what you are referring to is the startup delay.  Once the website is loaded, it is in cache and the pages should be rendered in under 20ms.  The portal issues many queries to CRM in order to render the first page, and when the site is first initialized, these initial queries are what is taking the site so long to load.  Once the queries are run, the results are put into cache memory so that subsequent pages are fast to load.

One thing that I highly recommend is that you change your IIS parameters for the application pool that you are using to host the site.  Change the idle timeout from 20 minutes to 12 hours or something like that.  This will ensure that IIS doesn't shut down the site unnecessarily and force the next page load to be loaded from a new process.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net