WebsiteCopy.exe: The penny hasn't dropped

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:57 AM
Edited Jul 8, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I don't quite get it. Struggling to deploy the portal in a development environment. Websitecopy takes the contents of the customerportal.xml and pushes it all into the relevant CMS entities in Dynamics. I get that. But I'm trying to deploy without Live ID by following shan's article on his blog. Running the website I get the following error.

Parser Error Message: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Source Error:

Line 55: <roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="CrmRoleProvider">
Line 56: <providers>
Line 57: <add name="CrmRoleProvider" type="Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Web.Security.CrmContactRoleProvider"/>
Line 58: </providers>
Line 59: </roleManager> 

Now, if I've changed the source web files as in shan's instructions. Does that mean the content of customerportal.xml is now invalid for my deployment?

There's a disconnect in my head going on between how the portal, Dynamics and customerportal.xml all hang together. Can someone help me out here?

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:59 AM
Edited Jul 8, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Apologies for the messed up formatting. Didn't look like that when I wrote it.

Edit:  Fixed the formatting.  Chrome browser didn't give me the full editor.

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:35 PM

The content of the website does not have to change in order to switch out the Live ID Membership provider.  The error you are receiving is from the first xRM component that is initialized for your site - the role provider.  I would suspect that your connection string for CRM is incorrect in your web.config file.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Jul 8, 2010 at 4:23 PM
Edited Jul 8, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Thanks.  I've got the portal running now. Reverted back to snapshot and went with LiveID. I think you are right though. My Xrm connection string didn't have the domain before the username. It does now and I'm able to run the portal, albeit starting the implementation again. Haven't done anything with it yet though.  When I'm feeling brave, I'll try implementing the modified website that doesn't use LiveID.

To help me get to grips with what's going on then, is the following correct.

The customerportal.xml only contains records which contains content for the portal. Not the portal aspx pages themselves.  Just text and styling that gets squirted into the relevant places?  Therefore, modifying the aspx doesn't affect what's in Dynamics, providing you don't go deleting / renaming existing controls?