Invitation Code URL

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM
Most of my issues so far have been PEBKAC user issues, and this discussions forum has been invaluable in resolving my issues, so hopefully y'all can help with this little one that might be a CRM issue more than CPA. I have my Invitation Workflow Email tweaked with my own language. The invite URL has the {Invitation Code(Contact)} in the blue text along with the rest of the URL. However, it's still not parsing the Invitation URL correctly, so the link is not clickable to the recipient. Should I just see if I can strip out the URL aspect to the email on my side and let the recipients email application handle rendering it as clickable?
Jul 13, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I ran this one by my friend Richard Knudson, who runs the Dynamics CRM Trick Bag at http://www.dynamicscrmtrickbag.com/.  The URL transmorgrifier in CRM doesn't work properly, and there's no capability to switch it to raw HTML like in the adxStudio CMS end-user editor tools. 

What Richard came up with is to create a custom attribute for the Contact for the Invitation URL.  He added a little Jscript to the Contact Form OnLoad event to concatenate the various pieces into a single URL, then wrote that value to a custom InvitationURL attribute.  Once that's there you can pick it up and use it in the email template variable.  

The CRM email template editor is not one of the best parts of CRM yet, but Knudson's trick solves these types of problems fast. 

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:52 PM
That's beautiful! Simple solutions are definitely the best ones. I'll check out both that solution and that blog right away.