Email not working

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Hi, I filled out the value for smtp server on the configuration page (Content Management, Site Settings) but when I run the signup workflow for a user no email is sent out.
The workflow ends with a successful status but the server doesn't even try to contact the smtp server on port 25 as I verified in a networking live capture.

Any idea why this could be happening? I tried using a dns name and an IP address, none worked. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:43 PM
Edited Jul 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM

CRM sends mail using its internally configured methods which you need to configure in CRM.  There are two steps:

• Set up users: Use the settings at Settings, Users, Email Access Configuration.  There are three choices: no mail, Microsoft Outlook, or the Email Router.  I would suggest Outllook to start.  It's the easiest but requires a live Outllook client configured to use the CRM instance of interest. 
  • Set up the email CRM uses to send: Eventually you will want to set up a CRM Email Router (search on this and you'll find the resources). 

I believe that the SMTP configuration settings in the accelerator exist when you send mail directly from the web site, which you don't want to do.  You want to track email through CRM and that means letting CRM handle it. 

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Thanks, I installed the email router and added a profile for outgoing email through our SMTP server. I now get the emails from the portal user sign up workflow. The weird thing is for some reason the dynamics values on the email body are not showing, i.e. it shows {Full Name(Contact)} instead of the actual values... but that's a different problem I'll be looking into now.

Thanks for the guidance

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Glad you got it working.  Here's a link to a fix for your other problem: http://customerportal.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=219303

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Thanks, although I'm not sure that's the same issue I'm facing. In my case it's not replacing any dynamic values, rather than failing to make the URL clickable. For example, I woulg get text like:

"Hello {Full Name(Contact)} , Welcome "

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!