Unrecognized attribute type

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I'm in the final stages of getting the customer portal site up (after IIS setup, websitecopy, etc.) and ran into the following issue with my web.config file:

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'type'.

Source Error:

Line 3:  	<configSections>
Line 4: <section name="microsoft.xrm.client" type="Microsoft.Xrm.Client.Configuration.CrmSection, Microsoft.Xrm.Client"/>
Line 5: <sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
Line 6: <sectionGroup name="scripting" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
Line 7: <section name="scriptResourceHandler" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

Looks similar on the surface to another role provider issue that people seem to be running into but I'm not sure it's exactly the same thing. Anyone else seen this?

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Have you touched the solution with Visual Studio or recompiled it?  If so, you might be missing a reference.  Other than that, please ensure that you have .Net 3.5 SP1 installed on your web server.  It looks like you are missing a .Net assembly.

Thanks,
Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:23 AM
Edited Aug 18, 2010 at 10:14 AM
Yup that's exactly what the issue was. A simple update solved the problem. Thanks.