Set something up wrong with the liveid signin

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I've looked through some of the other posts and haven't seen this exact issue.  I'm sure I set something up wrong.  The customer portal is now deployed and I can access unsecured content like the contact us page.  When I click the sign in link I am taken to the login page.  I click the sign in button and it redirects me back to the homepage without giving me the ability to sign in.

Aug 25, 2010 at 4:11 PM

If you haven't correctly configured Live ID (both in the portal and in Live ID land), this would be the expected behavior.  Keep in mind that the way Live ID works with the portal is that you are using an invitation mechanism.  Live ID lets you sign in, but in order for you to have an account on the portal, you have to use the invitation code link the first time.  This way the invitation code goes to Live ID and back to the Live ID auth handler, and that code then is used to locate your contact record.  Once that is located, we then use a challenge/response mechanism (the security question and answer) in order to validate your account for first time use.  Only when this entire process is completed successfully is your Live ID account PUID associated to your contact record.  Once you have the PUID in your contact record, subsequent logons will happen transparently.  This mechanism is covered in the documentation.

I suspect that you have not activated your account in this manner yet and you are simply clicking on the logon link in your site.  You will authenticate with Live ID and then be redirected back to the authentication handler.  From there, it will recognize your account as new (it won't know which contact record you are using) and it will redirect to the signup page which will then recognize you don't have an invitation code and redirect you back to the home page.

You are free to change this experience.  We decided to ship a secure implementation for Live ID and this scenario mitigates all of the risks we found in the threat model so that is what we shipped with.  If you want a less secure model, or want to implement an auto-signup model, you are free to modify the portal to meet your own requirements.  In fact, you don't have to use Live ID at all - you can use any membership provider with the portal.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net  

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Shan,

Generated an invitation code on my contact and access the site using this link

http://replacedmyIP:replacedmyport/login?InvitationCode:642F90741F9C45518ED01DD3BFCC5B03

I am never prompted to enter a live id username or password.  It goes immediately to the homepage when I click on the liveID sign in button/icon.

I intend to change the experience eventually, but I want to get it working as-is first before modifying it.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Did you register the app with Live ID and set the return url to http://replacedmyIP:replacedmyport/LiveId.axd?

Did you configure your web.config to configure the Live ID connection string?

Finally, do you have other browser windows open that perhaps may be carrying session cookies for Live ID?  If you already have another browser window open that has been authenticated with Live ID, it may cause some problems.

Shan

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Shan,

Thank you again for your fast responses.

Closing all browser sessions allowed me to get the prompt to login.

I also had a typo in my link for the invitation code.  Here is the link that worked

http://replacedmyIP:replacedmyport/login?InvitationCode=642F90741F9C45518ED01DD3BFCC5B03

I am in!

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Edited Sep 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Dear all ;

i am configuring the customer portal for mscrm 2011.i am using the trial of mscrm 2011 which made on office 360(the new way of making trial for mscrm 2011).i am using my Wlid for connecting to azure. i configure the website in the mscrm and also in the azure as defined in the documentation of the portal.i change the config file of the website through VS2010 using the xrm live id and the password. i created the contact in mscrm 2011 with its live id email. now the question is

when i try to connect the my own adminitrator id of mscrm through which created the mscrm trail (microsoft creats by dfault live id ) i can not log in to website

but when i use the my live through which i am connecting to azure then it is getting log in but not showing the customer portal.

secondly the contact i created in mscrm 2011.

1. how can i generat ethe invitation code for it

2 in the create application site of windows azure i can not see the verify domain option