Unable to add note to customer portal

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I am using a hosted CRM deployment along with the customer portal on Azure.  I can create a case without any errors but when I attempt to add a note to an existing, active case, it fails with the following error message (via Fiddler):

[Fiddler] Connection to xxxx.cloudapp.net failed.
Exception Text: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it ip.ip.ip.ip:20000 (with ip being the IP address).

What makes it really odd is that the note is getting added.  I suspect the problem has to do with the fact it's attempting to go to port 20000 - as soon as I remove the port, it takes me back to the edit case screen with my added note in the list of notes at the bottom.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?  Is it the port number or is there something else going on?

Thanks,

Jeff

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Thanks for the good description.  It should be easy for me to repro.  Azure has a load-balancer which changes the inbound request.  The redirect url has to be built from a particular host header.  I suspect that the code-behind on that page is not building that url correctly.  The fix will likely be changing one line of code in the code-behind.  I will get someone to look into it soon and provide a fix.

Thanks,
Shan

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Shan,

Thanks for the quick reply.  If you need more info, just let me know and I'll do what I can.

Jeff

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:51 AM

You can change the redirect statement in the code-behind to the following:

Reponse.Redirect(SiteContext.Current.ClientUrl.PathWithQueryString);

This will avoid the problem by redirecting the browser with a relative url to the site without worrying about changing the ports in Windows Azure.  It looks like there are a couple of places in the portal that would benefit from the same approach.  We will include this in the next update, but in the meantime, you have the full source code and can make the change yourself.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net  

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Shan,

I just had a chance to implement this (been juggling projects and customers) and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the quick reply & fix.

Jeff