Summary of Steps moving Portal to New Server

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Can someone provide a summary of the steps needed to move the portal to a new server.  I've gotten it working on a development box and am looking to switch it to a different server.

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:23 PM

If you want to move the content of your website from one CRM to another (or even to clone it within the same CRM), simply use the WebsiteCopy utility.  The destination CRM has to have the schema extensions before the website copy can add the content.  Moving the site code is as simple as using xcopy.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:03 PM

I'm trying to keep the same CRM server but move the portal to a new server.  I tried using the website copy utility to make a clone of the site that resides on a new server. 

I ran this script on server 1 that hosts CRM and the portal

websitecopy.exe /SourceConnectionString:"Authentication Type=AD; Server=http://dev-crm1/BMITADDEV; User ID=crmdev.local\administrator; Password=password;" /sourcewebsitename:"CustomerWebPortal" /TargetFile:customerportal.xml

I then moved that xml file to the new server and ran the following

websitecopy.exe /targetConnectionString:"Authentication Type=AD; Server=http://dev-crm1/BMITADDEV; User ID=crmdev.local\administrator; Password=password;" /targetwebsitename:"CustomerWebPortal2" /sourceFile:customerportal.xml

I then created a site on server 2 in IIS namedCustomerWebPortal2 and copied the site from server 1.

If I browse to the site on server 2, the homepage runs fine but when I click any other links I get 404 errors.  Are there some web.config changes I need to make as well?

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:17 PM

The location of the xml file is completely irrelevent to your scenario.  The use of the websitecopy utility will make a copy of a website.  It has the ability to clone a site, move a site to another CRM server or organization, and to backup or restore to an xml file.  The utility simply works with the CRM data.  You could also have used the utility to clone CustomerWebPortal to namedCustomerWebPortal2 in the same CRM without even using the XML file.

The website is also completely separate from the content in the CRM.  You have done the right thing in moving the project to your externally-facing web server, and setting up a new IIS website.  That said, the website needs to connect to CRM and know which website is is to host.  You will see that the web.config has a CRM connection string, which tells it what to connect to, and in your case, you are not changing this, so it is appropriate to leave the connection string alone.  That said, there is an additional application variable in the web.config that points to the website name.  You will want to change that to point to the new name of the website.

If you are getting 404 errors on any of the other links, that means that the custom url rewriting is not working.  The portal ships with an appropriate configuration file for IIS 7 (Windows 2008 or later), but IIS 6 needs some additional settings in order for this to function.  Based on you getting the error, I would expect that you are setting this up on IIS 6.  What you need to do now is to edit the IIS website, switch to the custom errors tab, double click on the 404 error, and set it to redirect to url /default.aspx.   This will ensure that your custom urls (ie: /cases) gets mapped to the IIS engine, where the http module will be tiggered to handle the url rewriting correctly.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Remapping the 404 error to url /default.aspx fixed it.  This must have been something I did on the original site and forgot.  Thank you again Shan for your timely and extremely helpful advice.