IIS server settings preventing sub pages from loading

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Hi Guys,

I have deployed the portal externally and i cannot see any of the sub pages when i navigate the site

when i go to the login page i can see the text "This site uses Windows Live for authentication. Please sign in by clicking the link below" but not the sign in button?

My colleage and i spent yesterday looking at the code to try to resolve this but with no success. then it occoured to me that this server has been hardened and there may be something configured that is preventing the display

To prove the point it is not the site i built an internal win 2003 server and deployed the portal on to it and without any changes and it worked. I can see all of the fuinctionality and can log onto the site and create cases

The server was hardened by an employee that no longer works for us so i am unable to pick his brains so i was hoping for some pointers with IIS6 that may be causing this issue

thanks in advance

Andy

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM

I can't think of any hardening that will make the portal work internally but not externally.  I suspect that it isn't working for either on your new server.  I assume that since your test server is Windows 2003 (you should REALLY upgrade), your production server is also Windows 2003.  That means IIS is version 6, and you need to do some additional configuration that wasn't included in the initial documentation.  For IIS 6, you need to configure the 404 error handler to redirect to the url /default.aspx in order for the IIS url rewriting to function properly.  If you can see the home page, but not navigate to other pages in the site, this would indicate that your 404 error handler is not hooked up properly.  If this is IIS7, it is not a required step because the web.config file has everything it needs to function.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I Shan

Nope already done that

If you want to see the issue can you go to

http://customer.bettercrm.org

all the site is working just not the sub pages??

Sent: 28 October 2010 17:54
To: Strong Andrew
Subject: Re: IIS server settings preventing sub pages from loading [customerportal:232662]

I can't think of any hardening that will make the portal work internally but not externally. I suspect that it isn't working for either on your new server. I assume that since your test server is Windows 2003 (you should REALLY upgrade), your production server is also Windows 2003. That means IIS is version 6, and you need to do some additional configuration that wasn't included in the initial documentation. For IIS 6, you need to configure the 404 error handler to redirect to the url /default.aspx in order for the IIS url rewriting to function properly. If you can see the home page, but not navigate to other pages in the site, this would indicate that your 404 error handler is not hooked up properly. If this is IIS7, it is not a required step because the web.config file has everything it needs to function.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (customerportal@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email customerportal@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com