Case Origin Population

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Hi,

I have now sucessfully deployed the Customer Portal and I am very impressed with the OOB stuff, however I now need to work on customizing some of the forms on the site and the main thing I need to do is populate the 'Case Origin' field in CRM with 'Web' when a case is submitted by a customer. This is so that I can trigger a workflow when the case is created in CRM when the origin = web. How do I add a field to the web form (preferably hidden).

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
David

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:40 PM

You could do this with small code modifications to the portal, but I would recommend this approach instead:  Create a CRM workflow triggered on create of new case.  Put a check condition on the owner = your web proxy username, and if it is true, update the record, setting the case origin.

Shan

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Hi Shan, thank you for your prompt response.

When you say 'web proxy username' do you mean the user account used in the web.config to connect to CRM?

Thanks

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Yes, the CRM user that the website is authenticating with when it connects to CRM, which would be the account listed in the connection string in the web.config.

Shan

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Again thank you that has worked a treat.

I should have asked this further question in my post, we have a custom field on our Case that allows us to select the Contact that reported the case so that the case closure email is sent to them rather than a generic email for the account. Is there any way I can populate this field based on the logged on portal customer that submitted the case?

Thanks
David