Customer portal website not loading correctly

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:03 PM
Edited Feb 10, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Hi,

I am trying to deploy the CRM Customer Portal Accelerator for MS CRM 2011 on-premise and have run into an issue. The issue is that the home page of the customer portal website comes up but the navigation links do not work. For example, when a link such as Cases, Event Calendar, Schedule a service, etc is clicked, ideally the portal should have displayed both text and graphics such as a Login button that takes you to Azure or calendar of events, etc. But only a 404 error page appears when any of the top navigation link is clicked.

Here is the status of the work that has been completed.:

1.       The step of importing the customer portal accelerator solution into CRM and copying the website using websitecopy.exe has been completed without problems. The solution can be viewed in CRM.

2.       The step of configuring an application in Azure has been completed. This means that Azure can see the customer portal domain and is ready to receive user credentials and authenticate. This is just FYI and probably does not have anything to do with this issue. Also, the web.config of the customer portal has been updated appropriately.

3.       When the source code of the customer portal is debugged using Visual Studio, the website runs fine with all the links working. This proves that the configuration of the customer portal is working ok. But some setting is not quite right perhaps in IIS 7 where the customer portal has been set up as a website. I have tried pointing the website to both the source code and published code. In both cases, the result is exactly the same.

4.       The text that appears on the home page and the various links are being retrieved from CRM meaning that the portal is able to interact with CRM. 

A couple of oddities:

1.       In IIS 7, if the portal website is not configured with a default document of Pages/Home.aspx then an error appears when the portal is accessed. This error is basically a directory browsing error that says a default document could not be found and that the website does not allow directory browsing. The documentation does not mention that there should be a default document. The documentation may have missed this step but I am mentioning here just FYI.

2.       The links on the website do not work at all. When a link is clicked, it displays the error 404 that tells you that the page does not exist or has been moved, for example, Event Calendar, FAQ, etc. I had to set the execute URL of error code 404 in IIS to “default.aspx” to get the links partially working. Now, let's say the Cases link displays a line of text but does not display the Login button. Similarly, other pages appear blank. Apparently, this fix works in the customer portal for CRM 4.0.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. It does look like that the accelerator is able to communicate with CRM. I am suspecting that this is probably an IIS related issue.

Thanks in advance!

Adhish

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Hi,

I am facing the same problem. Is there any fix for it?

Thanks

Vani

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Hi Adish/Shaun,

We are also facing the same issue.

One thing that I noticed is, that if I set it up with AD, it is absolutely working fine.

Only with the SQL Membership provider that it is not working as expected.

Please let us know how to fix it.

Thanks,

Srini

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Hello all,

I am having a similar problem.

I can get to the homepage, but when I log in by entering user name an password and then click on "cases", it keeps redirecting me to the homepage.

Thanks,

Emi
Jul 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM
EmiCRM - it sounds like your authentication is not set up properly. I assume you are using Live ID. You should review all of those settings and urls to ensure that the authentication handler (Liveid.axd) is being used. If the authentication doesn't go through this handler successfully, then the portal will consider you anonymous and you won't be able to use cases.

BTW - this forum is for the CRM 4 version of the portals, not the 2011 version. The 2011 version support is done in the following forum:
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=crmlabs
Jul 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Hi Shan,

My configuration is IIS 7.5 on premise, with W2008R2.

Your reply prompted me to take a closer look at IIS authentication and I could see that none of the authentication methods were enabled.

I turned on Windows authentication and no change. However, when I enabled anonymous authentication it fixed the problem. I am not too sure if this is the correct approach, but I have now put the Portal site on an SSL binding and I hope this will be sufficient.

Many thanks for your input.