Portal case access permissions

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:05 PM

I'm trying to understand how the portal case access permissions work.  There appears to be some issues - maybe its a known bug.  The add existing case access doesn't work.  If you attempt to use I get an error message: Cannot create relationship becuase exists that has a cascading action.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:22 PM

The case security model works.  I have not seen the error you have mentioned here.  Can you provide more information on the error?  For example, are you getting the error when you are creating the case from the portal?  do you get the same error when you create the case in CRM?  What other customizations (particularly relationships) have been made to the case entity in CRM?  Also provide the exact error and stack trace.

Thanks,
Shan McArthur

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:20 PM

No, we can create cases in CRM and the portal fine. We get the msg when attempting to add an existing “case access permissions” to a contact. You can create new case access permisisons or add existing ones to accounts.  As far as customizations, we have made several entity (new attributes, form changes, views.) customizations but nothing outside of the norm.

Maybe I should ask this question. How do you properly setup “Case access permissions” for the portal?

Here’s a scenario: Account 1 should only see their cases on the portal and this works fine.  But Account 2 needs access to see cases created by Account 1 and Account 2. How do you set this up accounts to view multiple account's cases?  This is apparently a simple procedure, but doesn’t work. Thanks

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I understand.  There should be no problems.  The case security model will look to see if a "case access permission" row is defined in CRM for that account, contact, and with the appropriate rights (ie: create/read/write/delete).  Think of this as a declarative security model.  You should not modify existing ones, but always add new entities for new rules.  I think there is a draft workflow that shows how to create it, and it is covered in the documentation.  Add a new case access permission row - don't edit an existing one.  But that said, I still cannot explain the error - I would need to have a screenshot of it.

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Still not sure why I'm still being restircted to viewing only one account's cases when I have created two new case access permssion records.  I will look for the documentation.  I may be overlooking something.  Appreciate it.

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Ah.  There was one limitation in the original version - it required the contact's primary account to be the same as the case access permission.  This can be changed with some code-behind (that solution should be somewhere here on the forum).  We also fixed it in the CRM 2011 version of the portal.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Hello - Can you possibly direct me to where the code-behind solution might be to allow you to access multiple accounts from the portal (as mentioned above)?

I have searched for it but have been unable to access it.  Thanks.

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:44 AM

carmbruster - the customer portal includes full source code and any .Net developer can make the required changes.  I don't believe the solution is downloadable on the internet.