Customer Portal on Azure with CRM 2011 - login issue

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:33 AM
Hello, I have installed the customer portal on Azure and it seems to be working but I am having trouble getting users signed into the portal.  When I generate an email for a contact and copy / paste the invitation URL I get directed to Live ID sign in which then takes me to the home page.  Contact Us works and generates a lead record so I think I am close to getting this working.  Thanks for any help!
Mar 6, 2011 at 2:15 PM

There are quite a few requirements to get Live ID going.  Check the following:

1. Your Live Id connection string in your web.config
  2. The Live ID return url must be the same as your handler (/LiveID.axd)
  3. You have an invitation code generated for your user (and a future expiry date), and the link that the user clicks on has that invitation code.
  4. You have the security question/response pre-set in the contact record.

If any of those are not set up, your user will end up on your home page unauthenticated.

The commercial version of the portals from Adxstudio has a contact membership provider that does not require setting up Live ID.

Shan McArthur

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Thanks Shan.  I believe I have checked all of these items but still having trouble.

1. Live ID connection string. 

This reflects the WLID account that I setup for the service account to talk to my CRM org.  There could be an error in my secret as it contains some complex characters like a bar etc.  But if this was not working would I be able to create a lead record from the "Contact Us"?

2. Live ID return url must be the same as my handler

Where is this set?  Is this something that is required to change on setup?  I dont recall instructions in the doc to do this.

3. done

4. done

Is it necessary to have a username and logon required checked?  I thought that the username field will populate when the invitation process is complete.  I have tested this with multiple users and populating these and leaving them blank.

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Is it necessary to have Case, Account or Contatct access permissions setup before the Invitation process can work?  I have tried this too without any additional success.

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:47 PM

The Live ID connection string is not a Live ID account.  There are two connection strings in your web.config - the one for xRM is for the website to connect to your CRM - and from your description that one is working.  The other one is for Live ID application - it consists of an application ID and a secret.  It doesn't need credentials - it needs the details for the Live ID application.  Download the new customer portal (for CRM 2011) from the marketplace and open up the Azure deployment guide.  See step 8 on page 13.  These instructions are the same for both the CRM 4 and CRM 2011 versions of the portals.  Note that Live ID has changed the process recently and the new documentation is the best reference even for the old portals.

The username and logon enabled fields will be controlled by the framework once the user has been authenticated via the invite and challenge/response mechanisms.

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM

The authentication mechanism is completely separate from contact us, case, account and contact access permissions.  The authentication mechanism is independent of all of the other functionality of the portal and is one of the first things you should get set up and working.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Shan, I got it!  The issue was a misstyped secret key value for my Live Id in the web.config.  Working great now and thank you for your help!

Patrick