Customer Portal Accelerator for CRM 3.0

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I need to implement a portal for our customers that interact with our CRM 3.0

I read a lot about all the good things that these accelerator have, and I want to know if it’s going to work in any way with the CRM 3.0 or if there is some code than can help me with that implementation.

Thanks’

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:55 PM

These portals will not work with CRM 3.  CRM 3 doesn't even have N:N relationships.  CRM 3 is also using a very old version of .Net framework (long before LINQ).

I think your efforts would be best spent in upgrading CRM.  CRM 3 mainstream support is already officially retired (see http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&p1=9776&x=6&y=10).  CRM 2011 is now released, and the new cadence from the product team is one minor version every 6 months with the major versions every 12 months.  The longer you keep your CRM system at version 3, the harder it is going to be to update it.  Every day that goes by is another day that your users are not getting the value of CRM 4 or CRM 2011, and that is unfortunate.  Another consideration is that if you hack your own portal solution for CRM 3, it will be one more barrier for you to overcome to upgrade to CRM 2011 as CRM 2011 no longer has the CRM 3 service endpoints.  Do yourself and your users a favor and put together an upgrade plan, THEN add customer facing portals once you upgrade to CRM 2011.

Sorry I can't help, but the portal framework will not work with CRM 3.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Thanks' for the information. Now we can evaluate what to do next.