CAL Requirement for client/customer employee

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:51 AM

I searched a bit but not able to find any information on CAL requirement for Client Employee, who is accessing the portal from outside.
We want to keep data in CRM for client/customer Employee. Data will be entered and accessed by him/her using portal.

1. Do we need any CAL per client/customer Employee?
2. Will External connector CAL per Organization is sufficient?
3. If we use just External connector CAL which type of user can we create in CRM for Client Employee? This CRM user will be mapped with external user ID on Portal.
4. If we can’t create any user in CRM, how to segregate data for each Employee?

Thanks,
Nilesh

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:36 AM

As of now I found following information - If someone can confirm it that will be great

1.       Using External connector, we will not be able to create any user in CRM for Client Employee thus no data specific to him/her in CRM.

2.       If we want to store Data per Client Employee in CRM we need to use Employee Self Service CAL else we will have to store data outside CRM.

3.       Using EC, if we build logic to attach external user with custom entity, we may be able to store it in CRM but not sure if this is feasible and legal in CRM.

Thanks,

Nilesh

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM

This forum is for the support of the CRM 4 portals only.  If you have questions about the CRM 2011 versions, please use this other forum: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crmlabs/threads

CRM 4 doesn't have an employee self service CAL, so if you have an employee, they require a full CAL in order to use CRM 4.  The external connector is only to be used for non-employees or agents of the company.

CRM 2011 introduced the concept of an employee self-service CAL which will is roughly 10% of the cost of a full CAL.  The new ESS CAL will allow for the use of the portals to manipulate the data on behalf of that employee.

That said, the distinction of an employee is important - if it is your employee, a CAL is required.  If it is an employee of one of your customers, then an external connector will cover them.  Your wording doesn't help me understand the relationship between you and that 'user'.  I don't know what you mean by "client/customer employee" or "client employee".  You will have to determine if that user is your employee orcontractor, or if they fall under the terms allowed in the external connector.

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:35 AM

Thanks Shan. I'll add the question to other forum.

BTW - Client/Customer employee is third party employee who is not internal employee. Following is the relation -

I'm in Organization A. A will have multiple tenants in system e.g. B and C. There are multiple clients for B and C e.g. D and E. Client Employee will be employee of D and E. Hope this clarifies the question.

Thanks again,

Nilesh

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Shan,

This is driving me nuts for last 3 hours. I have gone through the CRM 2011 Licensing Guide and I've read many articles about ESS CAL and its benefits. What is driving me nuts is where is it within CRM Web interface when setting up a User? I have installed two on-premise installations and both do not have any option to choose a Employee Self Service CAL. I have the following Access Mode: ead-Write, Administrative, REad and License Type: Full, Limited, Device Full, Device Limited. What am I missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Prabhakar

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:24 PM

As of update rollup 5, there is no setting in the CRM that you can use to signify that the user is an ESS user.  It is on an honor basis.  For license reporting, you can add your own field to the user entity and report on it.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Thanks for answering to my query. Why on earth MS advertise about this feature and not tell that it is not available and no means to enforce. So from a license count, would you say a full cal = 10 ess cal or 1 full cal = ~50 ess cal. In my scenario, I have about 5000 customer user using customer portal(external connector) and anywhere from 200 to 800 roaming field techs using ticket portal to update Cases opened by customers. Additionally, I've about 40 field managers using a full cal and 20 exec level using dashboard and sales/marketing role using full cal. 

My big concern is compliance, since we are a Gold Partner and not sure how many licenses we have for each kind of users. I've gone through the licensing guide from start to end and cannot say for sure what is the split up if its honor system. 

Thanks,
Prabhakar

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:59 PM

The license is available, and it is legal.  The only gap is that it is not available in the license type option set in the product.  Microsoft is using an honor system for many CRM license types, and does this for many products outside of CRM.  If you want to report for compliance, you can use the suggestion I posted in my last message - simply add your own custom field to user and report based on that field.  There is no ratio between ESS CALs and full CALs - it is dependent upon usage, not on any ratio.  The license types you get through the partner benefits are full CALs - they have not explicitly granted any ESS CALs, but you can purchase them as you need them.

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM

So to further understand, does this mean that i give the user full access and then i remove all roles from him for instance, so that he's unable to login to CRM, or what do i do exactly to get a user to be ESS and not have access to CRM?

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM

No, there is no way to 'enforce' the license type in CRM.  You give them the roles they need to access the data, it is just that they are not 'allowed' to use the web UI or the outlook client, but there is no mechanism in CRM for you to enforce that.