Loggin in - Doesn't show the users name

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I've installed the portal in a HyperV Demo enviroment and the portal starts, I can use the Contact Us page and it creates a Lead in CRM, Events work and you can register for them.

However: When a user logs in, it doesn't show their username, it just shows "– Manage Account – Logout"

If I click Manage Account it errors with "Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

The user is added to the Customer Portal Administrators Role, but they do not get the EDIT button

Anoyingly I've had this before, but cannot for the life of me remember how I fixed it, any help would be most useful.

Kind Regards
Paul Bartram
MSCRM Pre-Sales

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I'm now getting the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Line 41: 			TimeZoneSelection.Items.Insert(0, new ListItem("Please Select One..."));
Line 42: 
Line 43: 			if (Contact.Adx_TimeZone.HasValue)
Line 44: 			{
Line 45: 				TimeZoneSelection.SelectedValue = Contact.Adx_TimeZone.ToString();

Source File: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Customer Portal\CustomerPortal\Web\Pages\eService\Profile.aspx.cs    Line: 43

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Site.Pages.eService.Profile.BindTimeZoneDropDown() in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Customer Portal\CustomerPortal\Web\Pages\eService\Profile.aspx.cs:43
   Site.Pages.eService.Profile.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Customer Portal\CustomerPortal\Web\Pages\eService\Profile.aspx.cs:71
   System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +24
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +70
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3063

However the Timezone for the contact (I've also set Account, Contact and Case permissions) I'm loggin as is set to "(GMT) Grenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London" I have also tried setting Timezone to "(GMT) Coordinated Unerversal Time"

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:53 AM
Edited Nov 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Ok solved it, the username on the contact had the domain name in it, i.e. Demo\hannah, chaning this to just Hannah solved the issue.

Also the user must be in the organisational unit in active directory that the web config file LDAP points to.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM
PaulBartram wrote:

Ok solved it, the username on the contact had the domain name in it, i.e. Demo\hannah, chaning this to just Hannah solved the issue.

Also the user must be in the organisational unit in active directory that the web config file LDAP points to.

Where did you change the username?

Did you make any code changes to fix this issue?

Regards